Extra request regarding ways of sorting

Hello,

I know More sort options for albums is already on the to-do list, but I would want to expand a little more on what might be interesting.

Context: I have a large library, and browsing by genre is one of my main usages.

Personally, I would love the ability to sort albums by:

1. Random order. (maybe when this sorting option is chosen, a “re-order” icon could be shown to shuffle again)
    When browsing a genre with many albums, it’s fun to rediscover works you haven’t listened to in a while. Now, you always have the same ordering, which means many albums (at the bottom particularly) won’t be noticed.
  2. Date added.
    For instance, let’s say I want to listen to that new Classical album I recently added. But the genre Classical is huge, so I might have a tough time finding the work, and quite soon I might even ‘forget’ about it. It would greatly help me with my overview if I could browse genres such that the albums are sorted with the most recently added ones on top.

Let me know if you think these make sense to add as sorting possibilities.

Thanks for the great work,
Bart

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll add them to the list.

For now you can get random shuffle of tracks (but not of albums) by adding the genre to the player queue and then shuffling the tracks.

To find the albums that were recently added to MPD you can use either the “Recently updated” view filtered by album, or the Files view sorted “by newer first”.

Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions. They offer some level of working around it indeed, but I would still love to see the features implemented at the sorting level, so good to see it added to the list.

Thanks for the active engagement with users and the good work,
Bart

Hello,

I wanted to follow up on this instead of making a new post.

Your suggestion to use the “Recently updated” album view works very well, thanks. There is one major thing I’m missing though, which is the ability to sort the results by date (they are now sorted alphabetically by album title). I kind of implied this in my original post, but I wanted to explicitly add the question here: can you add the ability to sort albums within the “Recently updated” list by other fields, most notably date?

Thanks, still enjoying the player!

Hi,

Sorting albums by modification date is possible and is already on the to-do list I’m just not sure when it will be implemented. Hopefully in a few months time. (There are many feature requests in that list so I pace the development to one release per month and it’s either a feature from the list or catching up with Android new releases and API changes).

1 Like

Hello,

I am happy to see that sorting by album modification date has been added to the Recently modified view. One minor adjustment would make it infinitely more usable to me though: reverse the order. It is now sorted ascending, so I have to scroll down a rather large list of albums to finally see the most recently edited ones.

I think reversing the order makes sense, what do you think?

Thanks! Great work.

For now you can try narrowing the date range to focus on more recently updated ones.
Will add reverse order in the future.
Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like