High battery usage when streaming is enabled

MAFA version: 1.9.6
Android version: 14
Device model: Pixel 7
MPD version: 0.23.5

Tried out HTTP streaming yesterday and everything worked. Closed the app and didn’t use it at all for the rest of the day. Don’t remember what percentage of battery I had before I went to bed (but above 50%). Woke up with the dead battery. Huh… So I went to check what drained my battery and the app report lists 26% of battery usage since the last charge. I didn’t even use the app! The apps I use regularly drained just a few percent (like browser, WhatsApp etc.). So something is wrong here…

Let me know if I can help with some more info.

Thank you for reporting the issue.

A possible cause is that if the playback is paused while HTTP streaming is enabled, playback does not stop it just plays silence. This is how MPD handles the paused streaming.

I see. Is it possible to implement a timeout of some kind, ie. after a few minutes of silence kill the stream? It’s inevitable that at some point I will forget to manually stop the streaming and that’s going to drain the battery.

I think it’s a good idea. I’ll add it to the to-do list.

Either to stop playback or to stop HTTP streaming after a timeout if paused when HTTP streaming in active.

Note that if you are listening to an online stream (e.g. a radio station) you have the option to stop instead of pause (Settings → Behavior → “Don’t pause streams”).

Great. Thanks!

“Stop when paused” settings are available in version 1.9.7

That’s really great. Thank you!